“I work with organisations to help them be more effective (using technology)”
It’s a simple statement but pretty much sums up what I enjoy doing, what I’m good at and what many organisations need.
I have over 10 years’ experience of working in the voluntary sector, learning about running charities and the inevitable challenges organisations face. In that time I have worked on a lot of projects that looked at how technology can be a solution to some of those challenges, as well as lots that covered areas like governance, campaigning and strategy.
Now I work with a wide range of organisations – whose common theme is working for the benefit of people and not pockets – to help them become better at achieving their outcomes.
I’m more than happy to acknowledge that technology is not always the answer. Sometimes the best solution is about internal processes, and that’s absolutely fine if it helps you achieve what you’ve set out to do as an organisation.
How can I work with your organisation?
Analysis and strategy
- Working with you to see if your internal systems are adequately supporting your work.
- Developing a strategy to make sure your technology supports your organisation’s aims and objectives.
- Setting up more effective ways of capturing information about the work you’re doing and the impact it’s having (via my work with Lamplight Database Systems).
- Speaking to staff, managers and trustees about the benefits technology can bring to your organisation.
Training and support
- Training staff on how to use the tools you’ve already got, e.g. databases, website CMS, office tools and social media accounts.
- Ongoing 1-to-1 support.
- Reviewing and refining your online presence so that it’s more relevant to the people you’re trying to reach.
- Developing a social media strategy so that you can start to have meaningful conversations with supporters, policy makers, service users and colleagues.
- Reviewing and rewriting written materials – guides, training notes, web content – for clarity, accuracy and usability.
- Writing new, engaging content for print and the web.
General project management
- Desk research to gather information on any subject.
- Survey, analysis and report writing, particularly in the area of user, stakeholder and member needs.
- Taking on any project that’s in need of management and delivery capacity.
Although these aren’t my own area of expertise I also have trusted colleagues that specialise in:
- Website development
- Innovation and fundraising
Organisations I’ve worked with include Stoke Newington Bookshop, Superhighways, NCVO, Lamplight Database Systems, People’s Voice Media, Illuminate Communications, Hackney City Farm, Stoke Newington Literary Festival, sounddelivery and Learning Disability Wales.
About the blog
Although I try to write mainly about technology and how it can be used by not-for-profit organisations there are lots of other things I like and occasionally blog about. These include knitting, Liverpool FC, drinking real ale & craft beer, spotting GPO paraphernalia and the art of freelancing.
If you want to get in touch then please use the form below to contact me or tweet me at @LouiseBrown.
I’ve created a visual CV over at Pinterest.